Monday, March 4, 2013

How To Recruit: Why Not Recruit Passive Candidates?

In-house recruiters, sales managers, CEO’s of small companies and others who are responsible for growing their business are at a loss if no one responds to their help-wanted ads. Posting ads online is expensive. There’s no guarantee you’ll attract the best candidate for the open position. The answer is to recruit passive candidates. A passive candidate is one who is ‘happily’ employed and not actively looking for a new job.

From a veteran recruiter’s perspective, the need for great talent seems to be ever increasing. Instead of struggling with vacancies, learn how to successfully recruit the exact people your company needs. Sure, you can hire an executive recruiter, but you could also develop a few specific skill sets and save tens of thousands of dollars.

The truth is only 20% of the workforce floats their resumes online or are actively looking for a job. The other 80% are working. The majority of recruiters never approach passive candidates over the phone. What if you were equipped to methodically hire one new person a month on your schedule? What if you had control over the hiring process timetable?

When one masters the key techniques top recruiters use they're able to deliberately extract employees with the attitude and skill sets required, from wherever those candidates are currently working. I’ve been advising employers what to say and do to ensure desirable candidates accept their offers for twenty years. These smart people can certainly recruit candidates directly. There’s a process and protocol to recruiting that separates true headhunters from general recruiters.

Some in-house recruiters place amazing numbers of people into their organization by sifting through resumes submitted via their websites. The most available candidates often are not the best candidates. When the corporation hiring needs exceeds the number of recruiters, vacancies remain open and hiring managers are disappointed.

I propose taking control by directly approaching the personnel you need to meet your goals. Forge ahead with confidence knowing you can recruit top talent on your own with a little training. Not only will you save your company time and money, you’ll find yourself using these techniques in every kind of deal making situation.

Whether you’re negotiating with your teenagers or planning a corporate merger, if you know how to recruit, you hold the secret to managing outcomes. When you have the ability to engage candidates, qualify, and either dismiss or move them to the next level in your hiring process, you’ll appreciate the power recruiting skills deliver.

Case in point: I’ve recruited loan officers (one of several niches) for years. I talk with branch managers, CEOs, and VPs who are working hard to grow market share and territories. If I make five calls to generate new search assignments, three calls are returned. The need for talent is great. Most branch managers could successfully recruit loan officers themselves if they possessed several proven strategies.

These men and women are sales people and with a little help those skill sets can be modified to recruit top talent on a consistent basis. The benefits of learning how to recruit passive candidates are difficult to calculate. This refined knowledge on how to be a recruiter is guaranteed to give you an advantage in your career, earnings, and professional stature. 

by Kimberly Schenk, Author of 'Top Recruiter Secrets' and 'Cold Call Therapy'

Call today to discuss your situation and background. I can tailor a manual to your industry and provide one-on-one training until you're completely satisfied, all at a price that fits your budget.

No comments: